30 AWESOME ways to ‘wuppy worries away’
The little wuppy® worry puppy, worry catcher, and worry catcher key ring, were all designed to help ease children’s worries, and to help comfort them.
Here are 30 AWESOME ways to help ‘wuppy worries away’.
(I’ve divided them into the 3 product categories so it’s easier to read and learn about each product).
Category 1 – little wuppy® worry puppy
- The MOST special feature of little wuppy® is its red embroidered heart. Children are encouraged to send their worries to the little wuppy® by placing its heart against their own so they don’t need to worry anymore.
- This heart can also be ‘charged’ with other people’s love. For example, if your child suffers separation anxiety at school, you can charge the little wuppy® with your love so your child knows your love is with them ALL day. Just pop its heart against your own to charge it with your love.
This is also a great idea for children who:
- move from one parent’s house to the other
- miss relatives/friends
- who have a FI-FO parent
Just ask the beloved person to charge the little wuppy® with their love.
- The heart of the little wuppy® is embroidered, which means it sits slightly higher on the chest of the worry puppy. This makes it easier, and quicker, for little fingers to locate the heart without too much fuss. Great for when kids need to touch the heart for comfort, especially in the dark at night.
- The little wuppy® is backed with a soft, smooth minky fabric, perfect for those children who use textured surfaces for tactile comfort. Children can rub, touch or play with the minky backing to help them stay focussed, relaxed and calm, especially in the classroom. Pop a little wuppy® in their pencil case, so when they’re at their desk listening to the teacher, they can use it discretely.
- Many children also find the feel of satin fabric quiet soothing. Under the tail of the little wuppy® hangs a satin-feel looped tag. This is great for children to pop their finger through and rub the tag for comfort.
(image credit: Alison Manns Photography)
- The little wuppy® has also been designed to fit comfortably in the hand of a child. Children can hold the worry puppy using only one hand, allowing them to do things with their other hand.
- The little wuppy® is purposefully stuffed firmly so children can squeeze it and hold it tightly. It can be used in a similar fashion to a ‘stress ball’. (The filling used to stuff the worry puppy is hypoallergenic and made using recycled PET).
- Even though they are quite firm, the little wuppy® is still small enough, and light enough, to fit inside a pocket, pencil case, school bag or under a pillow, making it completely transportable.
- Each little wuppy® worry puppy comes with an adoption certificate. This allows children to name their worry puppy, giving them a sense of ownership and responsibility. The DELUXE little wuppy® pack also includes a cardboard box kennel and stickers so children can decorate their worry puppy’s kennel and make it their home. This also encourages a sense of ownership and responsibility.
- The little wuppy® can be used as a classroom pet or mascot to teach children about compassion, respect and responsibility within the classroom. This classroom pet or mascot can also be used as a relaxation or comfort tool for students.
- Some children may need their own individual comfort tool, especially if they experience separation anxiety when attending kindergarten or school. It may be separation from a parent or carer, separation from a teacher, or separation from friends. To make the transition from one person to another, or one location to another, the little wuppy® can be used as a comfort tool; something to hold onto tightly, something to send worries to, something to soothe and calm their anxiety.
- Bed time can also be quite a distressing time for some children. Their minds start to race and they may find it hard to fall asleep, or stay asleep at night. Having the little wuppy® by their side at night is comforting for them. They can hold it in one hand or squeeze it when they’re scared. They can even rub the minky or the satin-feel tag.
(image credit: @leonora_antonello)
- School testing, Naplan, dance exams, music concerts and other forms of tests can cause a child to feel nervous, scared, fidgety and anxious. To help children manage these overwhelming feelings, have them hold, squeeze or rub the textured fabrics on the little wuppy® to create a sense of calm. Sending their worries to the little wuppy® also helps to relieve their anxiety.
(image credit: Alison Manns Photography)
- Travelling, going on camp, or having a sleepover at a friend or family member’s house can trigger the above-mentioned feelings. Children like to feel comforted in unfamiliar locations, and having their own little wuppy® with them can provide the familiarity they associate with their own homes and families.
(image credit: Mustard Seed Art)
- Hospital visits, doctors’ appointments and check-ups can be quiet daunting and scary experiences for children. The little wuppy® is a wonderful companion for appointments – it can be held during a test, or popped into a pocket or bag for discrete comfort.
- Bereavement periods, illness in the family, a new member in the family and change of circumstances, can also be very challenging and overwhelming for children. The little wuppy® provides children with something concrete to hold on to; something that is theirs, something that will always be there, something they can use for comfort, whenever they need it.
- Speaking aloud can really help children process their thoughts and feelings, but some children find it really hard to talk to others. Talking to the little wuppy® and practising what they want to say, can help them verbalise their thoughts and feelings. It’s a great stepping stone to helping children speak to people they trust. Practise is so important.
- Sitting quietly is also really important for children who find the world overwhelming at times. The little wuppy® is a perfect companion as it doesn’t bark, it’s happy to sit quietly, and it loves to be patted (repetitive actions like patting can help to calm and soothe anxious children).
- Some children find certain essential oils calming. They can help to relieve stress and promote sleep. You could always try adding a couple of drops to the back of the little wuppy® to promote calm and relaxation at bed time.
- A cuddle can be very comforting for children who are worried, scared, overwhelmed and anxious. The little wuppy® is a wonderful little cuddle buddy, especially during the night or during nap/quiet times.
- The little wuppy® can also be used as a tool to practise breathing techniques. Pop the worry puppy on the child’s stomach and ask them to breathe in deeply. If the little wuppy(® does not move up and down when they breathe in and out, the child needs to practise filling their diaphragm with air, rather than just their lungs. Deep breathing is what helps to regulate oxygen levels, decreasing the panic and anxious feelings associated with worry.
Category 2 – little wuppy™ worry catcher
- The special feature of the little wuppy™ worry catcher is its heart. The heart of the worry catcher ‘catches’ all of your child’s worries. Hang it in their room so that if they start to worry at bed time, they know the worry catcher will ‘catch’ those worries, allowing them to sleep more peacefully and soundly.
- Some children are very self-conscious about the tools they use to manage their worries. Because the worry catcher is wooden and simple in design, you can hang it as décor in your child’s room, and their friends will be unaware that it’s a comfort tool; they’ll just think it’s cool wall art.
- If your child prefers to be completely discrete with the worry catcher, it can easily sit inside a drawer or under a bed, out of sight. Your child will be comforted knowing it will ‘catch’ all their worries for them, even when their friends are around.
Category 3 – little wuppy™ worry catcher key ring
- The little wuppy™ worry catcher key ring is a mini version of the worry catcher. Its heart will ‘catch’ your child’s worries, but is small enough for them to hold in the palm of their hand. The design is engraved into wood, so children can hold it and run their fingers across the grooves for tactile comfort, too.
(image credit: Jo O’Kelly Photography)
- Hang the worry catcher key ring on your child’s school bag or pencil case, especially if they are not allowed to have (or prefer not to have) the worry puppy visible in class. They will know, that even though it may not be right in front of them at all times, it will still work hard at ‘catching’ all their worries while at school or in the playground.
- If your child prefers to have a comfort tool or tactile tool with them at all times, the worry catcher key ring is a perfect size for your child to pop into their pocket. They can reach into their pocket and feel for the heart, or the grooves in the wood. And if they can’t hold it, they know it’s always there. (This is helpful for things like sporting events, exams or tests, or playing in the playground).
- Travelling can evoke strong feelings of worry and fear in children (and adults). Hang a key ring from a backpack or suitcase, pop in into a pocket in the clothes you’re wearing, or carry it in your handbag or purse/wallet.
- And for children who are worried about walking home from school (or to the corner shop or milk bar), hang a worry catcher key ring to their set of keys.
- For older children (or adults) who become nervous and anxious while driving, pop a key ring on your keys or hang it somewhere in your car (where it won’t block your view or cause a distraction).
For all-round comfort, your child can use all three products simultaneously, or separately, depending on the situation.
In a child’s bedroom, for example, they could use:
– the little wuppy® worry puppy as a comfort, tactile or breathing tool
– they can have the worry catcher hanging next to their bed to ‘catch’ their night time worries
– and they can have the key ring attached to their school bag, ready to manage any worries that arise the next morning.
(The ULTIMATE little wuppy™ pack includes all 3 products).
Please know, that there is no limit to how and why a child uses any of the little wuppy® products. They have been designed to ease children’s worries and help comfort them, so if your child finds another awesome way to use little wuppy® products to help them, then that’s doubly awesome!!
How does your child use their little wuppy® products?
Please feel free to share; I may be able to add to my list!
If you’d like to adopt a little wuppy® for your child, visit www.littlewuppy.com.au/shop